Friday, November 15, 2013

I KILLED MYSELF WITH A PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH




I killed myself with a peanut butter sandwich
Right between the eyes
Down below the nose
I crammed it in my mouth
I ground it in my head
Where it snagged in my throat
But hit its mark – the belly-belly
Which was warmed by the downrushing
Lead-weight blood

“The suicide resulted from a heavy ingestion of Haagen Daaz,”
Said the attending guru
With the white flowing coat
“I can see by the smile
On his double-chinned face;
He was very out-of-balance
And a little insane.”

Perhaps it might have been a small piece of undigested beef
Clogging me up down there, you fool
Making me see ghosts of myself
In a naked mirror of doom,
And what of those psychic suck-down needs?
Like a stuffed potato –
Maybe I drown myself by the refrigerator door
And slit my throat with a sweaty chug.

No, I killed myself with a peanut butter sandwich
To stop the pounding energy
Of whirring, buzzing, heightened awe
To slow me down and calm my nerves
I lost my soul to another round
Returning as I've always done
To this lower life form I've become
"Resuscitate me, please! oh heavy one."


November 15, 1995
Nonsan, ROK

No comments:

Post a Comment