Friday, March 30, 2012

LAST NIGHT OUT WITH THE '69 COUPE DEVILLE


472 cubic inches: God's own American drunk petrolsaur
Second biggest production engine General Motors ever made
Best running Caddy in the city and my car
My car, the mothership, the fatherland's pride
Big American V-8 under the hood
24 gallon gas tank
12 miles to the gallon car o'mine
Meat-eating, devil worship god-machine o'mine
Riding rails
Built for comfort, not for speed
Vacuum-hosed monster wicked daddy
Oh you dash daring mesa jut angle design
Pumping always pumping
Pride draped and silent
The Presence
Of the whale
The year: one year after the Tet offensive
Quiet rumble electric/automatic everything
Strong motor
A creampuff
Creaturing the roads
With muted fins
Solid frame, big grill
Turn signal slow, even
I got in one day and never looked back
Pleasure of leather
Big back seat
Chocolate brown
Black vinyl top
Tow hitch, cassette dream machinegun
Hero of capitalist, Western dog-man
Made flesh
"Real cool mother, once you get a feel for that Cadillac ride
You'll never drive another"

Walking feet will talk a legend
Of the "coupe," the '69 Coupe deVille
Living trashpile of classic steel
Hear me, mate me, nurse me
Forgive me, yeah
She once was mine
She once belonged to me.


July 21, 1989/ Berkeley, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment